Reclamation projects

Fisherfolk lauds rejection of Mega Harbour Project

Posted on Updated on

Fisherfolk lauds rejection of Mega Harbour Project

DSC_4470.jpg
Mayor Sara-Duterte Carpio | Photo by Davao Today

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Thursday lauded the rejection of Davao City Mayor Sara-Duterte Carpio of the Mega Harbour project, a joint-venture signed by her father, then City Mayor and now President Rodrigo Roa Duterte with Mega Harbour Port and Development Corporation.

The P40-billion Mega Harbour project covers the areas from Sta. Ana Port to Bucana and involves 200-hectare reclamation intended for mixed-use, commercial, and residential use. Mayor Carpio terminated the project in July for its implications on the environment and livelihood of the people living along its target coastal area.

We welcome Mayor Carpio’s decision to reject one of the most destructive corporate activities to our fishing waters. Coastal reclamation always leads to destruction of marine biodiversity and moreover, wide dislocation of fisherfolk and coastal settlers in exchange for business ventures of few developers,”

“The City Mayor must completely put the project to an end even if the proponent finds its way to slip through the project’s technicalities and flaws. For the fisherfolk who have been always the target of its devastating impacts, reclamation can never be legal, environmentally, and socially viable,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

The fisherfolk group said President Duterte must follow the step of his daughter by terminating all the reclamation projects pending throughout the archipelago packaged under the National Reclamation Plan by the Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA). This includes some of the projects that already started in Manila Bay like the 650-hectare Navotas Boulevard Business Park (NBBP) that if completed, would effectively displace more than 20,000 fisherfolk and urban poor in the two barangays of Navotas City.

President Duterte must declare all reclamation projects illegal and disastrous to environment and the people. His daughter’s step was a welcome development, but it would be more beneficial to the Filipino fisherfolk if all reclamation projects nationwide would be totally terminated,” ended Hicap. ###

Advertisements

Manila Mayor Estrada hit for its public stunt Manila Bay clean-up

Posted on Updated on

Manila Mayor Estrada hit for its public stunt Manila Bay clean-up

erap-2017.jpg
Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada | Photo by ABS-CBN News

Manila, Philippines – Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada on Thursday earned the ire of the militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) for its apparent publicity stunt clean-up drive in Manila Bay, saying the Mayor showed gross stupidity and negligence in rehabilitation of the dying bay.

The clean-up drive last week was claimed to be initiated by the Manila local government where it was shown in reports that trashes were first scattered in Manila Bay before proceeding with the clean-up.

The fisherfolk group ridiculed Manila Mayor Estrada for assuming that he could fool the people over his stupid publicity overdrive. The group said that it was Estrada who actually approved four destructive reclamation projects in Manila Bay over the last 6 months. Reclamation and conversion projects, according to PAMALAKAYA are the leading reason why Manila Bay is already now on its severe condition while thousands of fisherfolk and coastal settlers were already ejected from their fishing community due to past reclamation projects.

Mayor Estrada has recently approved the Horizon Manila project that covers 417 hectares of the bay. It is dubbed to be Manila’s biggest reclamation projects under Mayor Estrada. The other three that were given blessing by the Manila Mayor were the 407.42-hectare New Manila Bay International Community, the 148-hectare Manila Solar City project, and the 50-hectare expansion of Manila Harbour Centre in Tondo.

Read the rest of this entry »

EARTHDAY ACTION: Fisherfolk, environmentalists back top environment chief on pro-people, pro-environment policies

Posted on Updated on

EARTHDAY ACTION: Fisherfolk, environmentalists back top environment chief on

DSC_0122.JPG
Fishers, environment activists on Earth Day picketed DENR to push the agency for pro-people and pro-environment policies

pro-people, pro-environment policies

Manila, Philippines – Gathering at the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) head office in Quezon, City, the fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) and environmental activist Kalikasan People’s Network for the Environment (KALIKASAN) on Earth Day pushed Environment Secretary Gina Lopez to continue its pro-environment and pro-people policies, namely, the suspension of numerous large-scale mining operations that rampantly destroy the environment and the demolition of vast-tract of fishpens in Laguna de Bay that pollute its aquatic resources.

It is first time in our history that our environment Czar has prioritized the interest of the people and the environment over the narrow interest of the oligarchs. We laud Secretary Lopez’s persistent campaign against giant mining firms that destroy our mountains, forests and seas. Her anti-fishpen campaign is also highly notable as it is a long-time demand of the Laguna de Bay fishers whom for decades have been deprived of their common fishing grounds,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said during the protest.

Although welcoming Lopez’s actions, the fisherfolk group urges Lopez to also show objection against widespread reclamation and conversion of fishing waters that transform its productive fishing ground into private business ventures at the expense of its fragile marine environment and livelihood of the fisherfolk and coastal settlers.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fishers agonize reclamation in Navotas

Posted on Updated on

Fishers agonize reclamation in Navotas

17862583_1925171401102730_6765247095310707807_n.jpg
Ongoing reclamation in Navotas

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Thursday decried the ongoing installation of fences and markers on the shore of Brgy. Tangos, a fishing community in Navotas City. The fences and markers are in preparation with the Navotas Boulevard Business Park (NBBP), a 650-hectare reclamation and eco-tourism project approved by the Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA) as requested by Navotas City Mayor, John Rey Tiangco.

The project was approved during then-President Benigno Aquino III, of which according to PAMALAKAYA will effectively demolish around 20,000 fisherfolk and urban poor residents in Navotas City.

The fisherfolk group said the completion of the markers made of gravel and the fences made of metal will block the fisherfolk from going offshore to make livelihood. They said the project has been planned since 2012 but the strong resistance of the fisherfolk and urban settlers effectively delayed the project.

Read the rest of this entry »