President Rodrigo Duterte

Nationally-coordinated fish strike vs Fisheries Code and Duterte’s anti-people policies set

Posted on

Nationally-coordinated fish strike vs Fisheries Code and Duterte’s anti-people IMG_20170224_134806.jpgpolicies set

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) will spearhead a nationally-coordinated fish strike in time of the 20th anniversary of the Fisheries Code of 1998 or Republic ACT 8550 on February 23.

The fisherfolk group reiterates its call to repeal the Fisheries Code which for two consecutive decades has failed to improve the miserable lives of the country’s poorest of the poor sector. The Fisheries Code was amended in 2015 under the Republic Act 10654 to deter the so-called “illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing” (IUUF) which the government claimed as the cause of overfishing. But the fisherfolk group decries the amended fishing law’s repressive fishing restrictions and regulations, saying even the traditional and backward fishing methods have been categorized by the government as “illegal”, resulting to hefty fines and penalties imposed among the small fisherfolk who barely earn enough.

PAMALAKAYA will also protest President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-people policies such as the proposed Charter Change (Chacha) which will constitutionalize the sell-out of fishing waters and coastal areas to foreign businesses, and the newly-approved Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion (TRAIN) law that poses heavy burden to the municipal fisherfolk due to the skyrocketing price increase of basic commodities and oil products.

We are two decades a slave under the Fisheries Code which only favors the greedy interest of few commercial fish firms and developers. It promulgated modernization and mechanization of the fishing industry but in reality, our fishing gears remain backward and Jurassic; only 38% of registered fishers in a municipal level possess a mechanized fishing banca, while the remaining 62% still use traditional fishing methods or worst, no fishing boat at all,”

Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

BFAR’s submissive statement in Benham Rise hit

Posted on

BFAR’s submissive statement in Benham Rise hit050112 Benham Rise 1

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Monday lashed out at the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) over its clumsy statement regarding China’s research plan in the Philippine Rise (formerly known as Benham Rise).

This wasn’t what we want to hear from the Bureau of Fisheries who is supposed to be in the frontline of defending Philippine Rise’s marine resources. After some time of keeping mum in the midst of the raging controversy regarding the Philippine Rise, the BFAR just finally came out but with a cowardly submissive position,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

According to BFAR Director Eduardo Gongona during a round-table discussion last week, the issue is “not confrontational” and that it is okay for us to share resources with China to supply its citizens with our marine products. But the group said the agreement between the Philippine government and Beijing has only reached a joint research, not a sharing of resources.

BFAR has already offered the sharing of resources when the Philippine government and China have only achieved a joint research agreement in the first place.The country has yet to fully tap the resources in Philippine Rise, so why would we let other countries to lead the exploration and exploitation,” added Hicap.

Philippine Rise is a 13-million-hectare resource rich underwater plateau located opposite to the disputed South China Sea, it has been declared by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) in April 2012 as part of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Through the Executive Order No. 25 signed by President Rodrigo Duterte in May last year, the undersea feature has been renamed from Benham Rise to Philippine Rise.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fishers brace as Duterte orders to go after “leftist organizations”

Posted on

Fishers brace as Duterte orders to go after “leftist organizations”IMG_20170224_133454

Manila, Philippines – The activist fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Saturday lambasted President Rodrigo Duterte for his order to go after leftist organizations that he maliciously tagged as supporters and legal fronts of the New People’s Army (NPA). PAMALAKAYA said the order is dictatorship in the making and an open fascist rule.

Although the group said it is nothing new because even without the order, people’s organizations and activists fighting for the democracy have always been the target of harassments and persecutions from the state. But the order, according to the group will institutionalize and a license to attack the dissents and everyone who is critical of the administration.

We fear for intensified military operations in the rural communities especially those with active local mass struggles. Filing of trumped-up charges and extra-judicial killings against local members and leaders will worsen under Duterte,” Fernando Hciap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

The group said instead of military approach, still the best option to resolve the civil unrest is to return to peace negotiations with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) and even other groups waging war against the government.

In fact, returning to peace negotiations is better than a fascist approach. After series of consultations from our regional chapters and various sectors, we believe that the proposed reforms of the NDFP in the aspects of socio-economic and political will benefit the Filipino people and will achieve a total peace in the land,”

“Otherwise, if Duterte is really close-minded in talking peace, then the patriotic Filipino people have no option but to choose the path of intensifying our resistance and struggle to oust him in power. We have already done that to two past regimes, just to remind him,” ended Hicap. ###

“Speak up on Benham Rise issue!” – DENR, BFAR told

Posted on Updated on

“Speak up on Benham Rise issue!” – DENR, BFAR told

PHILIPPINES-IRAQ-DEFENCE
Retired armed forces chief, Roy Cimatu (L), head of the Philippines’ Iraqi crisis management team, confers with National Security Adviser Roilo Golez during a briefing at the National Security Council in suburban Quezon, north of Manila, 11 March 2003. Cimatu has instructed the Philippine embassy staff in Baghdad to relocated to Amman in Jordan amid signs of an imminent US-led war on Iraq. AFP PHOTO/JAY DIRECTO / AFP PHOTO / JAY DIRECTO

Manila, Philippines – “In the midst of the raging controversy regarding the Philippine Rise, the deafening silence of two government lead agencies, namely, the BFAR and the DENR is utterly disappointing,” according to the militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas), urging the two agencies to speak up and make a stand against the government’s sell-out of our marine territory.

The group said Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) are supposed to be at the forefront of conducting research in the fishing resources and management of the marine biodiversity of the rise.

Philippine Rise is a 13-million-hectare resource rich underwater plateau located opposite to the disputed South China Sea, it has been declared by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) in April 2012 as part of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Through the Executive Order No. 25 signed by President Rodrigo Duterte in May last year, the undersea feature has been renamed from Benham Rise to Philippine Rise.

Aside from China, the Duterte administration has approved research applications from several countries such as Japan, United States, and South Korea; which was opposed by the fishers group, saying it is a gross violation of our patrimony and tantamount to surrender of sovereign rights.

The fisherfolk group noted that BFAR and DENR have already conducted exploratory trips and research on the plateau before.

Read the rest of this entry »

Develop local marine science and fishing industry, not “joint research” with China – fisherfolk

Posted on

Develop local marine science and fishing industry, not “joint research” with China –

050112 Benham Rise 1.png
Philippine Rise | Photo by Interaksyon.com

fisherfolk

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Wednesday said that by promoting and developing the local marine science industry, we could utilize and exploit the Philippine Rise on our own even without the help of China which has a vested interest over the 13-million-hectare underwater plateau.

Philippine Rise is a 13-million-hectare resource rich underwater plateau located opposite to the disputed South China Sea, it has been declared by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) in April 2012 as part of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Through the Executive Order No. 25 signed by President Rodrigo Duterte in May last year, the undersea feature has been renamed from Benham Rise to Philippine Rise.

A joint research between the Philippines and China has been approved by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), which was opposed by the fishers group, saying the joint research blanketed with the Joint Marine Seismic Undertaking (JMSU) is a pretext of China for another occupation activity in our marine territory.

Read the rest of this entry »

Philippine Rise belongs to Ph – Fisherfolk to Malacañang

Posted on Updated on

Philippine Rise belongs to Ph – Fisherfolk to Malacañang050112 Benham Rise 1

Manila, Philippines — The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Tuesday lambasted the Malacanañg Palace over its pro-China statement stating that the Philippines can’t claim the Philippine Rise.

 

Philippine Rise is a 13-million-hectare resource rich underwater plateau located opposite to the disputed South China Sea, it has been declared by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) in April 2012 as part of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Through the Executive Order No. 25 signed by President Rodrigo Duterte in May last year, the undersea feature has been renamed from Benham Rise to Philippine Rise.

 

A joint research between the Philippines and China has been approved by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), which was opposed by the fishers group, saying the joint research blanketed with the Joint Marine Seismic Undertaking (JMSU) is a pretext of China for another occupation activity in our marine territory.

 

It appears that renaming the resource-rich feature to Philippine Rise is futile; what’s in the name when you will not exercise your sovereign rights and even allow other countries to claim and exploit our abundant marine resources under the guise of “joint research”. The renaming of Benham Rise was supposed to strengthen our claim on it, not to surrender,”

 

“Instead of crafting a comprehensive plan on how we can utilize and exploit its marine resources and gas reserves for the benefit of the country, the government has almost abandoned our legal claim,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

Read the rest of this entry »

31 years of no justice and continuing Mendiola Massacre-like killings under Duterte

Posted on

31 years of no justice and continuing Mendiola Massacre-like killings under DuterteDSC_0430.JPG

Manila, Philippines ­– 31 years after the bloody “Mendiola Massacre” that killed 13 protesting farmers clamoring for right to land, justice remains elusive and the killings against the peasant sector are still prevalent. Together with the peasant group Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP), the militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) will march from Morayta to Mendiola Manila tomorrow to commemorate the 31st anniversary of the infamous “Mendiola Massacre”.

Our 31 years of call to give justice for the victims of the bloody massacre seem to fall to deaf ears. 31 years after the massacre, justice remains elusive and the land that the farmers had died for has yet to be attained. Farmers remain landless while few landlord oligarchs continue to control vast-tracts of productive lands,”

“Both farmers and fishers who provide food on everyone’s table are the ones suffering from hunger, and are being displaced from their community in exchange for projects of development aggression,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

The group lambasted the current regime’s continuous neglect on the clamor of the peasant sector for right to land. Worse is that the Duterte regime is continuing the bloody legacy of its predecessors against the Filipino peasantry. Citing the data of KARAPATAN, out of the 126 victims of political-related extra-judicial killings (EJK), 109 are farmers who were active in local struggles for land.

Read the rest of this entry »