President Aquino

Fishers agonize reclamation in Navotas

Posted on Updated on

Fishers agonize reclamation in Navotas

17862583_1925171401102730_6765247095310707807_n.jpg
Ongoing reclamation in Navotas

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Thursday decried the ongoing installation of fences and markers on the shore of Brgy. Tangos, a fishing community in Navotas City. The fences and markers are in preparation with the Navotas Boulevard Business Park (NBBP), a 650-hectare reclamation and eco-tourism project approved by the Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA) as requested by Navotas City Mayor, John Rey Tiangco.

The project was approved during then-President Benigno Aquino III, of which according to PAMALAKAYA will effectively demolish around 20,000 fisherfolk and urban poor residents in Navotas City.

The fisherfolk group said the completion of the markers made of gravel and the fences made of metal will block the fisherfolk from going offshore to make livelihood. They said the project has been planned since 2012 but the strong resistance of the fisherfolk and urban settlers effectively delayed the project.

Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Roxas hit on his low-interest loan solution to fisherfolk

Posted on

Roxas hit on his low-interest loan solution to fisherfolkmar_roxas.jpg

Manila, Philippines – Liberal Party (LP) standard bearer Mar Roxas earned the ire of the fisherfolk group for his answer on how to alleviate the poverty among fisherfolk asked to him during yesterday’s first Presidential debate.

In a statement, the Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya-Pilipinas), an alliance of fisherfolk organizations in the Philippines said that Roxas’ solution to provide fisherfolk a lower interest loans is an insult to the sector.

Read the rest of this entry »

De Lima urged to probe Napocor officials

Posted on Updated on

De Lima urged to probe Napocor officials

by Leonard Postrado
December 18, 2013

A fisherfolk group has asked Justice Secretary Leila de Lima to investigate and eventually prosecute the top executives of the state-owned National Power Corporation (Napocor) in connection with the oil spill that hit Estancia, Northern Iloilo, a day after super typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) battered the Visayas region.

Electrifying protest awaits PH president on surging cost of electricity

Posted on Updated on

By Chitato Artidyo and Gerry Albert Corpuz

Manila, Philippines- A high voltage and totally electrifying protest awaits Philippine President Benigno Simeon Aquino III if his administration fails to stop the new round of hikes in the prices of energy according to rabid critics.

Read the rest of this entry »

Manila Bay groups opposed new reclamation

Posted on Updated on

Manila, Philippines– Manila Bay based groups led by the fisherfolk alliance Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya), Koalisyon Kontra Kumbersyon ng Manila Bay (KKK-Manila Bay), Sagip Manila Bay Movement (SMBM), Save Freedom Island Movement (SFIM) and Anakpawis partylist on Friday urged President Benigno Simeon Aquino III to stop the reclamation of 300 hectares of coastal areas in Paranaque City by SM Land Incorporated owned by business tycoon Henry Sy.

Read the rest of this entry »

Post-‘Yolanda’ rebuilding to take five years

Posted on Updated on

AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Rebuilding areas devastated by Supertyphoon “Yolanda” (Haiyan) that killed thousands mostly in Eastern Visayas will take up to five years and cost more than $2 billion, officials said Saturday.

The comments came as the death toll from “Yolanda”, one of the most powerful typhoons to ever hit the country, continued to rise.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said 5,632 people had been confirmed dead while 1,759 were still missing following the category five storm earlier this month.

Read the rest of this entry »

100,000 fishermen from typhoon-hit areas need boats

Posted on Updated on

100,000 fishermen from typhoon-hit areas need boat 

 

Delfin T. Mallari Jr and Carla P. Gomez R

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013

LUCENA CITY – A group of fishermen expressed frustration at plans announced by the Department of Agriculture (DA) to distribute 1,300 boats to fishermen, saying the number of fishermen who had lost their boats to Super typhoon Haiyan could easily reach 100,000.

Read the rest of this entry »