NDRRMC

Post-‘Yolanda’ rebuilding to take five years

Posted on Updated on

AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Rebuilding areas devastated by Supertyphoon “Yolanda” (Haiyan) that killed thousands mostly in Eastern Visayas will take up to five years and cost more than $2 billion, officials said Saturday.

The comments came as the death toll from “Yolanda”, one of the most powerful typhoons to ever hit the country, continued to rise.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said 5,632 people had been confirmed dead while 1,759 were still missing following the category five storm earlier this month.

Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Group to challenge legality of Aquino’s plan to declare coastal areas as ‘no-build zones’

Posted on Updated on

DESPITE the danger, some fishermen in coastal towns in Eastern Visayas are not about to just leave their homes to transfer to safer ground.

The Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya (Pamalakaya) said the group, along with members and supporters of their local chapter in Eastern Visayas will challenge the legality of a soon-to-be issued executive order of Malacañang declaring the country’s coastlines as “off-limit zones” or “no-build zones.”

Read the rest of this entry »

100,000 fishermen from typhoon-hit areas need boats

Posted on Updated on

100,000 fishermen from typhoon-hit areas need boat 

 

Delfin T. Mallari Jr and Carla P. Gomez R

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013

LUCENA CITY – A group of fishermen expressed frustration at plans announced by the Department of Agriculture (DA) to distribute 1,300 boats to fishermen, saying the number of fishermen who had lost their boats to Super typhoon Haiyan could easily reach 100,000.

Read the rest of this entry »

Palace proposal on fish settlement to evict 9 million fishers

Posted on Updated on

A militant fisherfolk group yesterday expressed apprehension that more than 9 million fishermen and coastal people or about 10 percent of the country’s population will be removed from their fishing villages once Malacañang signs an executive order (EO) declaring coast lines off limits to homes after storm surges and mini-tsunamis devastated coastal villages in Eastern Samar, Leyte and 34 more provinces affected by super typhoon “Yolanda.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Gov’t to implement ‘no build zone’ along Tacloban shoreline

Posted on Updated on

The government will be implementing a “no build zone” along the shoreline of Tacloban City as it plans to put up a 40-meter easement on the area to prevent storm surge from causing damages both to people and properties.

Read the rest of this entry »