Manila Bay

Fisherfolk lauds rejection of Mega Harbour Project

Posted on Updated on

Fisherfolk lauds rejection of Mega Harbour Project

DSC_4470.jpg
Mayor Sara-Duterte Carpio | Photo by Davao Today

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Thursday lauded the rejection of Davao City Mayor Sara-Duterte Carpio of the Mega Harbour project, a joint-venture signed by her father, then City Mayor and now President Rodrigo Roa Duterte with Mega Harbour Port and Development Corporation.

The P40-billion Mega Harbour project covers the areas from Sta. Ana Port to Bucana and involves 200-hectare reclamation intended for mixed-use, commercial, and residential use. Mayor Carpio terminated the project in July for its implications on the environment and livelihood of the people living along its target coastal area.

We welcome Mayor Carpio’s decision to reject one of the most destructive corporate activities to our fishing waters. Coastal reclamation always leads to destruction of marine biodiversity and moreover, wide dislocation of fisherfolk and coastal settlers in exchange for business ventures of few developers,”

“The City Mayor must completely put the project to an end even if the proponent finds its way to slip through the project’s technicalities and flaws. For the fisherfolk who have been always the target of its devastating impacts, reclamation can never be legal, environmentally, and socially viable,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

The fisherfolk group said President Duterte must follow the step of his daughter by terminating all the reclamation projects pending throughout the archipelago packaged under the National Reclamation Plan by the Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA). This includes some of the projects that already started in Manila Bay like the 650-hectare Navotas Boulevard Business Park (NBBP) that if completed, would effectively displace more than 20,000 fisherfolk and urban poor in the two barangays of Navotas City.

President Duterte must declare all reclamation projects illegal and disastrous to environment and the people. His daughter’s step was a welcome development, but it would be more beneficial to the Filipino fisherfolk if all reclamation projects nationwide would be totally terminated,” ended Hicap. ###

Advertisements

Manila Mayor Estrada hit for its public stunt Manila Bay clean-up

Posted on Updated on

Manila Mayor Estrada hit for its public stunt Manila Bay clean-up

erap-2017.jpg
Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada | Photo by ABS-CBN News

Manila, Philippines – Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada on Thursday earned the ire of the militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) for its apparent publicity stunt clean-up drive in Manila Bay, saying the Mayor showed gross stupidity and negligence in rehabilitation of the dying bay.

The clean-up drive last week was claimed to be initiated by the Manila local government where it was shown in reports that trashes were first scattered in Manila Bay before proceeding with the clean-up.

The fisherfolk group ridiculed Manila Mayor Estrada for assuming that he could fool the people over his stupid publicity overdrive. The group said that it was Estrada who actually approved four destructive reclamation projects in Manila Bay over the last 6 months. Reclamation and conversion projects, according to PAMALAKAYA are the leading reason why Manila Bay is already now on its severe condition while thousands of fisherfolk and coastal settlers were already ejected from their fishing community due to past reclamation projects.

Mayor Estrada has recently approved the Horizon Manila project that covers 417 hectares of the bay. It is dubbed to be Manila’s biggest reclamation projects under Mayor Estrada. The other three that were given blessing by the Manila Mayor were the 407.42-hectare New Manila Bay International Community, the 148-hectare Manila Solar City project, and the 50-hectare expansion of Manila Harbour Centre in Tondo.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fisherfolk staged State of the Fishers’ Address (SOFA) to assess President Duterte

Posted on Updated on

Fisherfolk staged State of the Fishers’ Address (SOFA) to assess President DuterteDSC_0622.JPG

Manila, Philippines – In the form of street press conference, fisherfolk under the group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Friday staged its first State of the Fishers’ Address (SOFA) at the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to deliver their one-year assessment on the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte, as well as to air their concerns regarding the fishing sector that the administration still needs to adhere.

Fisherfolk from Laguna de Bay, Manila Bay and Southern Tagalog region gathered to bring their respective yet common issues besetting their fishing communities. Some of the key points of the assessment were the issue of sovereignty, Laguna Lake rehabilitation, and reclamation of fishing waters.

The fisherfolk group gave a satisfactory rating on President Duterte regarding the Laguna Lake rehabilitation due to his unprecedented order to demolish vast tracts of fish pens in the 90-thousand hectare brackish lake. But the group also criticized the government’s “ningas kugon” approach on the order especially after the Secretary of DENR has been replaced by former military Chief Roy Cimatu where demolition of fish pens has been set aside.

The group urged the present administration of DENR to still pursue the clearing out of fish pens in Laguna de Bay to give time for its ecological system to restore and let the small fisherfolk savor its aquatic resources.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fisherfolk wants wider coverage of SC’s Manila Bay mandamus ruling

Posted on

Fisherfolk wants wider coverage of SC’s Manila Bay mandamus rulingDSC_0436.JPG

Manila, Philippines – The national alliance of fisherfolk Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) urges the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to raise to the Supreme Court (SC) to broaden the coverage of its continuing mandamus order in Manila Bay and not to use the Higher Court’s order to wipe out fishing communities and poor settlers along the gulf.

The SC on December 18, 2008 ordered a writ of mandamus to 14 government agencies to clean up, rehabilitate, and preserve Manila Bay, and restore and maintain its waters to SB level (Class B sea waters per Water Classification Tables of the DENR) to make it fit for swimming, skin diving, and other forms of contact recreation. DENR as the lead of the 14 mandamus agencies was directed to fully implement its Operational Plan for the Manila Bay Coastal Strategy (OPMBCS) for the conservation and rehabilitation of Manila Bay. DENR Secretary Roy Cimatu last June instructed the Manila Bay Coordinating Office (MBCO) and his officials to fast track the implementation of the SC ruling.

In a statement, PAMALAKAYA said the rehabilitation and total clean-up of Manila Bay is long overdue. In effect, small fishers for decades endures the trend of fish-catch depletion from 10-15 kilos average fish catch per day down to 2-5 kilos of average catch on a daily basis.

We support the objective of the Honorable Court’s mandamus to rehabilitate and preserve Manila Bay in the context of it will order commercial and industrial establishments to regulate its dumping of chemical and toxic wastes on Manila Bay which comprise 75% of its pollution. The goal of the mandamus to maintain Manila Bay to SB level should not only to make its waters fit for swimming and recreational use, but moreover to restore its abundant marine and fish species for the livelihood of small-fisherfolk therein,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

Read the rest of this entry »

Save Manila Bay and its fisherfolk – BFAR told

Posted on

Save Manila Bay and its fisherfolk – BFAR toldDSC_0417.JPG

Manila, Philippines – Challenging the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) to fulfill its mandate in protecting the marine environment and welfare of fisherfolk, the national fisherfolk alliance Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) asks its Director Eduardo Gongona to express opposition against destructive and widespread reclamation activities in Manila Bay, which according to the group is one of the primary factors on why the gulf gradually deteriorates.

The approach by the group came after Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada approved another reclamation project in Manila Bay, the Horizon project touted as Manila’s biggest land reclamation project covering 417 hectares of water. The project was proposed by the real estate J-Bros Construction firm and costs P100 billion.

Manila Mayor Estrada is on a killing spree in approving development projects that would actually destroy Manila Bay and we have no last resort but to tap BFAR whose mandate is to preserve our marine environment and the Filipino fisherfolk. BFAR must denounce and reject the reclamation galore of the Manila Mayor for it will worsen the condition of the already dying Manila Bay,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fisherfolk asks Manila Mayor Estrada to revoke approved reclamation projects in Manila Bay

Posted on Updated on

Fisherfolk asks Manila Mayor Estrada to revoke approved reclamation projects in erap-estrada1.jpgManila Bay

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Thursday warned Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada on his incessant approval of reclamation projects in Manila Bay that would endanger its marine life and the fisherfolk and urban settlers who depend on the gulf as primary source of livelihood.

Manila Mayor Estrada has approved the Horizon Manila project which covers 417 hectares of Manila Bay. The project which is intended for commercial and mixed use costs P100-billion and touted as Manila’s biggest land reclamation project. Its proponent is the real estate firm J-Bros Construction Corp.

The project is the fourth reclamation project to be given blessing by the Manila Mayor over the last six months. The other three are the 407.42-hectare New Manila Bay International community – dubbed as “city within a city”, the 148-hectare Manila Solar City project, and the 50-hectare expansion of Manila Harbour Centre in Tondo.

We call on Manila Mayor Estrada to rescind all its agreements with the proponents of the reclamation projects in Manila Bay in order to save the city and the body of water from degradation and disaster,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

PAMALAKAYA warns Mayor Estrada that the approved projects will aggravate the flash floods and other devastated effects of natural disasters in Metro Manila. The fisherfolk group said rampant reclamation activities over the years have made the Manila Bay vulnerable to storm surges because the movement and natural flow of its waters have changed.

Despite deterioration, Manila Bay remains a productive fishing hub and settlement for fisherfolk and urban poor in Metro Manila, some provinces of Central Luzon and Southern Tagalog. It must be spared from any destructive project that will convert its traditional fishing zone into gambling and entertainment hub,” ended Hicap.

The memorandum of understanding (MOU) of the project was signed on June 1 by Mayor Estrada together with Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA) board chairman Alberto Agra and general manager Janito Rubiato and J-Bros President Jesusito Legaspi Jr. ###

Fishers oppose new Manila Bay reclamation project

Posted on Updated on

Fishers oppose new Manila Bay reclamation project

Manila-Bay_reclamation01_hernandez_270614.jpg
Manila Bay reclamation | Photo by Manila Bulletin

Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) opposes the newly-approved reclamation project in Manila Bay covering 407.42 hectares of water, dubbed as ‘a city within a city’.

Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada has recently approved a multibillion-peso reclamation project in Manila Bay that will house business and commercial hubs for tourists. The project’s Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was already signed by the Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA) and the UAA Kinming Group Development Corp. on Monday.

In a statement, PAMALAKAYA blames rampant reclamation activities in Manila Bay that caused storm surges and environmental degradation resulting to fish catch depletion adversely affecting the livelihood of the small-fisherfolk.

We hold the long-running reclamation activities in Manila Bay principally responsible for the degradation of the once productive fishing hub for the Filipino fishers. Manila Bay used to be productive fishing water before with an average daily fish catch of 10-15 kilos. But since the across-the-bay reclamation activities became a corporate-craze, the average fish catch of a fisherman drastically drops to 3-5 kilos all time low,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.

Read the rest of this entry »