exclusive economic zone
Duterte’s war-mode is sell-out of sovereignty in disguise – fisherfolk group
Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Monday dismissed the statement of President Rodrigo Duterte that he would be willing to go to war to defend the Philippine Rise (former Benham Rise).
“He can’t even confront China on its continuous occupation and reclamation activities in the West Philippine Sea. Worst is that he says nothing when Beijing has nearly completed the transformation into military fortress of the seven reefs in the Spratly Group of Islands that are part of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone,”
“Duterte has clearly no ethos in defending our sovereignty because he is only after foreign investments and funding for his pet-infrastructure projects under the Build, Build, Build program. His war-mode posture is more likely a PR-stunt to diffuse the public anger over his criminal neglect in protecting the West Philippine Sea from China’s continuous occupation,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.
The fisherfolk group said that if Duterte is really sincere in protecting our exclusive economic zones (EEZ), there is no need to use metaphorical jokes like taking a boat to confront the invaders; rather, he must pressure China to urgently stop its occupation activities in the West Philippine Sea, as well as to confront other powerful nations like the United States to stop its regular patrol in the disputed waters that might provoke China and increase the tension.
BFAR’s submissive statement in Benham Rise hit
Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Monday lashed out at the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) over its clumsy statement regarding China’s research plan in the Philippine Rise (formerly known as Benham Rise).
“This wasn’t what we want to hear from the Bureau of Fisheries who is supposed to be in the frontline of defending Philippine Rise’s marine resources. After some time of keeping mum in the midst of the raging controversy regarding the Philippine Rise, the BFAR just finally came out but with a cowardly submissive position,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA Chairperson said in a statement.
According to BFAR Director Eduardo Gongona during a round-table discussion last week, the issue is “not confrontational” and that it is okay for us to share resources with China to supply its citizens with our marine products. But the group said the agreement between the Philippine government and Beijing has only reached a joint research, not a sharing of resources.
“BFAR has already offered the sharing of resources when the Philippine government and China have only achieved a joint research agreement in the first place.The country has yet to fully tap the resources in Philippine Rise, so why would we let other countries to lead the exploration and exploitation,” added Hicap.
Philippine Rise is a 13-million-hectare resource rich underwater plateau located opposite to the disputed South China Sea, it has been declared by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) in April 2012 as part of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Through the Executive Order No. 25 signed by President Rodrigo Duterte in May last year, the undersea feature has been renamed from Benham Rise to Philippine Rise.
PAMALAKAYA slams Roque’s puppetry to China
Manila, Philippines – “What happened to Harry Roque who used to denounce China’s illegal occupation in our territorial waters? It seems that the once staunch critic has now pledged allegiance to the imperial China,”
This was the statement of the militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Wednesday assailing Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque’s softening stance toward China’s continuous assertion of their irrational claim over the entire South China Sea, including the country’s 220-nautical mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and 150-nautical mile extended continental shelf (ECS).
The group accused Roque of being subservient to China after the Spokesperson’s statement that Beijing’s recent construction of military facility in the Kagitingan Reef (international known as Fiery Cross Reef) “has not breached its good faith obligation for as long as China has not embarked on new reclamation.”
Sea Code of Conduct will nullify international arbitration verdict – fisherfolk group
Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) rejects the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea which is part of the agenda in the upcoming 30th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to be held in Manila from November 12-14.
A Code of Conduct is a set of rules and guidelines aimed to address the freedom of navigation of claimant countries in the disputed South China Sea.
In a statement, the fisherfolk group said the Philippines does not necessarily need to ratify in the Code of Conduct because the country has already won the arbitration case against China over the South China Sea. The International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) last year has invalidated China’s “9-dash line” claim over the entire South China Sea and has favored Philippines’ exclusive sovereign rights in its exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and extended continental shelf (ECS).
PAMALAKAYA said that entering into another set of rules will negate and set aside our winning in the international court.
PAMALAKAYA condemns killing of 2 Vietnamese fishermen; slams Philippine Navy’s trigger-happy in the sea
PAMALAKAYA condemns killing of 2 Vietnamese fishermen; slams Philippine Navy’s
trigger-happy in the sea
Manila, Philippines – “The Philippine Navy should have apprehended the Vietnamese poachers and confiscated their fishing gears peacefully instead of resorting to violence and gun fire,”
This was the statement of the national fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Wednesday denouncing the Philippine Navy’s violent approach to the Vietnamese fishermen who illegally entered our exclusive economic zone (EEZ) last Saturday evening.
According to police report, the shooting incident happened at around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday where some 49 members of the Philippine Navy spotted 6 Vietnamese vessels illegally fishing in Philippine waters, about 34 nautical miles from the town of Bolinao in Pangasinan. The Philippine Navy then fired warning shots against the Vietnamese vessels while trying to escape, resulting to the death of 2 Vietnamese fishermen, while 5 of their companions have been arrested.
The fisherfolk group said that while they recognize and condemn the illegal fishing activities committed by the Vietnamese fishermen within our waters, responding them with military force is overkill and uncalled-for.
The group fears that the same violence might happen to Filipino fishermen if they accidentally washed up on foreign coasts, particularly in Vietnam.
Raise sea row in ASEAN Summit – Duterte urged
Manila, Philipines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on the second day of 30th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit urged President Rodrigo Duterte to raise the sea row between the country and China involving the country’s exclusive economic zone in the state leaders attending the 4-day summit.
The country hosts the 30th ASEAN Summit from April 26-29 at Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay, City.
In a statement, PAMALAKAYA urged President Rodrigo Duterte not to miss a chance to bring up the issue of the maritime dispute to the Southeast Asian leaders. Despite the international tribunal ruling favoring the Philippines’ claim over the West Philippine Sea, China has yet to give up its claim and construction of islands and military facilities continues in the disputed waters. China’s massive reclamation activities might inflict heavy toll and irreversible damage to our marine biodiversity and moreover, to the livelihood of the Filipino fisherfolk in the long run.
Progress of bilateral talks by President Duterte with China have made the Filipino fishers return to their traditional fishing ground in Scarborough Shoal after years of being denied access to their livelihood due to Chinese harassment and intimidation.