January 14, 2019
Fishers urged DENR to declare Manila Bay a ‘reclamation-free zone’
Manila, Philippines – The activist fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Monday urged the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to perform its mandate in protecting the environment, including the Manila Bay by declaring it as a reclamation-free zone. This, the group added, is to effectively rehabilitate one of the country’s major fishing grounds which currently suffer from environmental degradation stage caused by past and present privatization projects.
The fisherfolk group earlier lambasted the DENR for using the issue of pollution to demolish hundreds of thousands of residents, mostly fisherfolk and pave way for large-scale land reclamation projects. PAMALAKAYA casts doubt on the seriousness of the DENR to rehabilitate Manila Bay, when the said agency has keep on facilitating processes of reclamation, including providing environmental permits to proponents and private developers.
“Just last week, one of our municipal chapters had acquired a notice of public scoping from the DENR to facilitate the proposal of a local government unit to reclaim 420 hectares of Manila Bay in the part of Bacoor, Cavite. While environment secretary Roy Cimatu blames Manila Bay residents of disposing garbage and domestic wastes in the sea, he failed to address on the other hand the lethal risk of massive reclamation projects to the marine environment and ecosystem. Reclamation has caused the traditional fish and shellfish species in Manila Bay to get extinct because coral reefs and mangrove forests have been destroyed to give way to commercial business districts and private establishments which only benefit giant businesses,” Fernando Hicap, PAMALAKAYA National Chairperson said in a statement.
Dismiss restoration of Laguna lake mega-dike, DPWH told
Manila, Philippines – The acivist fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) on Monday told the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to reject the revival of the mega dike project in Laguna de Bay, known as the Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike Project (LLEDP). The LLEDP was one of the biggest projects of then-President Noynoy Aquino under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP), amounting P122.8 billion.
The LLEDP has two proposed components – a 47-kilometer expressway dike from Muntinlupa, Taguig to Los Banos, Laguna; and the 700-hectare reclamation intended for commercial, residential and mixed use. But the project was terminated early last year due to failed bidding accompanied by strong resistance from the Laguna lake fishers, settlers and other sectors concerned in the brackish lake.
Fisherfolk, residents, environmentalists and other concerned sectors oppose the project because this will pose grave threat to the fragile marine environment and species of the 90-thousand hectare lake. Moreover, around 4.9 million fisherfolk and urban poor families will be wiped out of their livelihood and coastal community.
The DPWH, one of the implementing agencies of the LLEDP has earlier said that it would still push through the construction of the mega dike for it is crucial for the transformation of the Laguna de Bay into eco-tourism zone.
Fisherfolk, Yolanda victims staged protest vs ‘Great Wall of Leyte’
Manila, Philippines – The fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) and Yolanda victims under the People Surge, an alliance of the disaster survivors staged a protest at the central office of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on Thursday to demand the suspension of the Tacloban-Palo-Tanauan Tide Embankment Project (TEP).
The TEP (also known as ‘The Great Wall of Leyte’) which costs 7.9 billion pesos is a long stretch of seawall from Tacloban to the town of Tanauan, Leyte, touted to protect people from storm surges. Of the 27.3 kilometers length of the embankment, 20.1 km. are in Tacloban, 4.1 km. will cover Palo and 3.1 km. in Tanauan. It shall have a height of about 4.5 meters and its center line said to stand 30 meters from the seashore.
According to People Surge, more than 14,000 households, majority are fisherfolk will be demolished for the completion of the embankment project. In Palo, Leyte, several residents have already started to self-demolish as ordered by the DPWH in exchange for little compensation based on assessed value.
‘Great Wall of Leyte’ is a monstrous disaster in the making – fisherfolk
Manila, Philippines – The fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (PAMALAKAYA-Pilipinas) calls for the immediate suspension of the Tacloban-Palo-Tanauan Tide Embankment Project (TEP) for it will meant to displace more than 14,000 households, mostly fisherfolk from 1 city and 2 coastal municipalities in the province of Leyte.
The 7.9 billion tide embankment project (also known as ‘The Great Wall of Leyte’) is a long stretch of seawall from Tacloban to the town of Tanauan, Leyte, touted to protect people from storm surges. Of the 27.3 kms length of embankment, 20.1 kms are in Tacloban, 4.1 kms will cover Palo and 3.1 kms. in Tanauan. It shall have a height of about 4.5 meters and its center line said to stand 30 meters from the seashore.
In Candahug, Palo, several residents have already started demolishing their own houses and small businesses after the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) compensated the structures based on assessed value. In Cogon, Palo, DPWH employees constantly visit their community to assess their houses and put numbers in red vandals indicative that they will be affected by the Tide Embankment project.
Reject revival of Laguna lake mega dike project – fisherfolk to new DPWH Chief
Manila, Philippines – The militant fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya-Pilipinas) urged the incoming Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Mark Villar to block the revival of the terminated Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike Project (LLEDP) under the incoming Duterte administration.
The LLEDP was outgoing President Aquino’s biggest project under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) program amounting to P123B. It has two components – a 47 kilometer expressway dike that will start from Muntinlupa, Taguig to Los Banos, Laguna; and the 700 hectare reclamation for mixed use. The project was terminated during Aquino’s term due to bidders’ several concerns and strong resistance from fisherfolk and residents living along the lake.
The DPWH, one of the implementing agencies of the LLEDP, earlier said that they will revive the project during the incoming administration as this is a crucial project in Laguna de Bay.
Noting that Secretary Villar’s family firm was one of the qualified bidders of the defunct project, Pamalakaya said, all the more reason for the newly appointed Secretary to obstruct any attempt to reinstall the project.
”He must disprove that his appointment to the DPWH post will give his family’s business interests’ advantage by tightening the noose on any attempt at reviving the LLEDP, and all the reclamation projects that are destructive to the fishers and the environment.” Salvador France, Pamalakaya vice-chairperson said in a statement.
The fisherfolk group claimed that around 3.9 million fisherfolk and urban poor families will be gravely affected if the LLEDP is pursued. This will also put the dying lake into its final death bed. ###
Fishers and lake residents score victory with the termination of the Laguna lake road dike
Manila, Philippines – “This is victory to the fishers and people who tirelessly fought to stop this
This was the statement of the fisherfolk group Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya-Pilipinas) and the broad alliance Save Laguna Lake Movement (SLLM) with the failure of qualified bidders to submit their bids on the Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike Project (LLEDP) and the subsequent announcement of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to terminate the project.
According to the DPWH, it is not realistic to once again postpone the bidding, but said they are still open for another round of qualifying and bidding until the next Administration is installed.